Turning Disadvantage into an Advantage
By: Hanoch Budin
By: Hanoch Budin
Where does it all begin???
• Looking back at my past trying to figure out what are the things which affected me most and brought me to where I am today, I find myself puzzled. Born in Canada as the fourth child to my parents who survived the holocaust and made Aliyah to Israel when I am 3 years old to one of the toughest neighborhoods in Beer-Sheva dealing with the bad economical situation trying to raze us properly.
• No doubt that what affected me most is my injury in Lebanon in 1982. Here I am a 20 year old young man in his prime lying on the ground covered with dirt and blood. The bomb shell that hit me amputated my right arm on the spot and burned the right side of my face, leaving me crying with enormous pain trying to figure out what is to become of my life, Knowing they will never be the same again…
From 1982 till the present
• A long rehabilitation process: Adjusting, acknowledging, adapting, switching from right to left and much more.
• Choosing a new present towards the future: coping without compromises, studying and on top of all becoming a world class swimmer.
• Building up a family and raising two boys watching the eldest join the army to serve in a special dangerous unit.
• Participating in 6 Paralympic games and winning 8 medals (establishing two world records in the past).
• Enjoying a rich business career both as self employed and in major roles at leading companies.
What is it all about?
• My presentation is about how to make the best of a new and what seems as the worst situation. How I took what I lost and made the best out of it and a little more. It is about taking life into my hands and showing how to become a winner. I will take you back to the lowest point one can ever get and show you how you can turn what you think is your worst weakness into an advantage to use as leverage.
• Children, Adults, coworkers, athletes, Managers, they are all welcome to my world in a flowing humorous presentation with deep and yet openly discussion that will make everyone take something which hopefully will be a benefit.